Thursday, April 16, 2009

Semana Santa-- my thoughts

Semana Santa, Holy Week, was amazing for me. I spent so much time with my friends and boyfriend. We traveled around, ate, and just chilled. My favorite place was Ronda (a separate blog to come).

THE MOST EXCITING NEWS FIRST! My roomies and I found an outdoor-hole in the wall- MEXICAN JOINT with AMAZING CHEAP FOOD in MALAGA! It's been TOO long since I had a quesadilla, a margarita, and guacamole! TOO TOO LONG! It's like writing in your journal everyday, you need it to stay sane, then one day it's gone and you miss it for months and months, and then, there it is! Okay, maybe that's not a good example, but you understand I'm sure, lol.


I was a happy girl! So happy, the next night I went back with my handsome love!!! He loved it just as much as I did-- unlike the vegetarian restaurant, lol! YAY! (I think he had one too many Margaritas, the Spanish aren't used to tequila!)
OK OK enough about the Mexican joint--- On too my favorite place in Spain, MARBELLA (again), ha. I went back, a THIRD time, this time to Puerto Banus-- the super posh area. It was gorgeous, I felt like I was in heaven the whole time. Between the huge boats, shops, ice cream shops, bars and beaches, I never wanted to go home. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! Also, I was wearing my $25 shades from Urban Outfitters which appeared to be like $300 so I fit right in (in my mind, ha)! I had SUPER company as well, Cristina & Joost, my loves.

(dancing at the light house, it's called the happy dance, lol)
I was waiting for the owner to come back to his car so I could start up a conversation, lol. Well, let's see what else... oh yeah, the traditional processions in Malaga. I have to first say that I appreciate the cultural aspect to Semana Santas processions, BUT I wanted to shoot myself after two parades. Let me explain-- During the whole week, Jesus and The Virgin statutes are taken out of every church and carried through out the streets (by men, never women). A band walks behind them playing music. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE THROUGH OUT THE STREET FOR 7 DAYS STRAIGHT! People follow the saints making promises, for example, "if you help my mother get better, I won't eat meat for a whole year". People cry in the streets and sing religious songs; they wait all year to experience this. Oh yeah, there is also incense burning all day. This goes on from 11am until 5am. ME, living in the middle of the city could not escape Jesus Christ! Everywhere I turned I saw him and his followers (also, I couldn't sleep at night with all the noise). After spending a full day with my friend watching all this, I was happy to get home, THEN my roommates made me head out at 1am to see more! I said, oh no no no no no, I'm not going. They bribed me with chocolate and sunflower seeds (I needed something to keep me calm, I am not a passive viewer, I need interaction). The sunflower seeds helped relax me while they enjoyed Jesus and made promises. Next year, I KNOW I will go away the whole week, not just a few nights, I won't be able to handle it again! ha. OH YEAH-- they wear KKK looking outfits, here it's a positive signal, in the US, terrible. It made me feel uncomfortable.





It was a unique religious experience. I am happy I experienced it, don't get me wrong, it's just not for me. After that, I needed to dance with my girls, so I did.
GREAT WEEK.

fun people.

explorations.

cultural experiences.

road trips.

PERFECT LIFE.

More blogs to come about my travels.

No comments: