Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Puerto Rican Day Parade, 2010

When I was a young girl, I was in a Broadway show, and because of this I was asked to sing and dance around the city at different venues. One year, I was asked to be a part of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and it was a memory I would never forget.

But I would have never expected that two days ago I would be asked to represent the Hispanic community, as a successful Latina role model, in the Annual Puerto Rican Day Parade! And that I did.

IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING MOMENTS OF MY LIFE! No exaggeration. I was up on that float, waving the flag and dancing, and NO ONE could take that smile off my face. I was surrounded by Proud Puerto Ricans to the left of me and to the right of me. They were all screaming, trying to get my attention, taking pictures of me, blowing kisses, and just straight out representing their culture! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!


Before making our way down the aveneue, we had to wait for a few hours to let the other floats through. I just so happened to be on the same block, 45th street, as the HOT 97 Float, one of the most popular hip-hop radio stations in NYC, and low and behold, who did I see? P-Diddy, Busta Rhymes, Cassie, and Fat Joe.
theres Diddy:
there's Busta with my girls cousin:
Fat Joe and his entourage seemed like they were having a good time, just chillin on the block so I jumped in and started BS-in with them. They accepted me with open arms, which I was surprised about because I didn't know them from a hole in the wall (but now I do, I'm going to have some great connections this summer!). They were talking about going to the BX for an after party and asking me where I was going to go after... i was like, WHAT??!!?? lol.
there we are:
Anyway, cool times indeed!

Afterward me and my girl and her family went to a restaurant in Spanish Harlem, everything was free! The restaurant was closed down for us, PRIVATE AFFAIR! Then, off to the Bronx to a place called Mi Gente in Castle Hill for some night time salsa dancing.
Can wait til next year, it's going to be bigger and better!
VIVA PUERTO RICO!

No comments: