Saturday, November 28, 2009

The American in Spain: Thanksgiving 2009

Thanksgiving 2009:
Last year at this time, I was heartbroken, in Spain, alone. I passed the day with a co-worker, an older Spanish woman who I loved. She and her husband cooked for me and we spoke and drank wine together for hours. It was a unique fabulous experience.

This year, I am blessed to have the best man in the world at my side. We decided to celebrate together and invite one of our favorite couples over to celebrate with us. It was his first Thanksgiving (obviously, Spanish don't celebrate this American holiday). He was so excited and talked about it all week. On Thanksgiving after we both finished working, we went food shopping together, ALL AMERICAN STARCHES! Cheese, different types of bread, pasta, potatoes, yams, wine, beer, I made home made vegetarian gravy (IT WAS GREAT-- I couldn't believe it) salad, and of course desserts CHOCOLATE CAKE (brought by our beautiful guests!)
YUMMY-YUM-YUM!
mmmmm...

We cooked together and prepared everything with mucho amor (as he says) and it turned out DELICIOUS! Our guests told us that it was the best mac and cheese they've ever had in their lives! TOMA!!! Eso es que necesito, positive feedback!

After dinner, desert, champagne, we went dancing (of course).

It was a fabulous Thanksgiving. This year I am thankful to have Spanish guy in my life, Alex is a blessing that I would have never seen coming at this time last year. I am a lucky woman. I was happy to show him what an American Thanksgiving is like, after all, I am living in his country and he is always showing me and teaching me new things about his culture, this weekend it was my turn!


No comments: