Thursday, January 7, 2010

Los Reyes Magos/ 3 Kings Day

History of Three Kings:
Three Kings Day is celebrated on January 6th, twelve days after Christmas. It's seen as the last day of the Christmas season, since there are 12 days of Christmas. The three kings are named Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar and according to an old legend based on the Bible story, the three kings saw a bright star on the night that Jesus Christ was born. They followed the star to Bethlehem and found Jesus Christ there and presented him with gold, frankincense and myrrh.
Spain (and Cuba, and a few others) celebrate this holiday every year.


Last year I missed it because I was in Africa and when I came back I really didn't have any Spanish family to celebrate with. BUT THIS YEAR I DID!

On 3 Kings Eve, there is a parade that goes through the center of town, each float that goes by throws candy and toys to the spectators. Me and a friend of mine were on the sidelines watching, I, unfortunately, didn't get any candy, we were too far back (by choice). Then we went to watch a childrens choir sing outside the cathedral, it was so beautiful and the young voices were so soothing.

So on January 6th all the Spanish families get together and go to a restaurant to eat, I wondered why they go to a restaurant and don't eat at home, I asked Spanish guy and he told me because the people are tired of planning and eating at home after Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve, and New Years, so they all go out. I preferred it actually. The problem is you have to make reservations otherwise you cant get into any restaurant. They are all packed with people all day!

We went to a restaurant in Alhaurin de la Grande, in the mountains, we ate mountain food, and the atmosphere was so great, huge place with high ceilings and the bathrooms were outside, separate, very typical in an old place. After that we went to Spanish guys mom's house, had dessert, I played Guitar Hero and broke a record with Spanish guys brother, ha, then we headed back home. What do you guys think, I can't rock it out with a guitar?

It was nice, better than Christmas Eve :-X ooppsss... am I not supposed to say that? IT'S TRUE!








3 comments:

Alex said...

jajajaj... WOW!!! como sabes la historia de los Reyes Magos de Oriente????
espero que tu primer día de Reyes fuera tan especial como para mí lo fue compartirlo contigo, enseñandote cosas tradicionales de España!!
me encanta estar contigo, me encanta disfrutar de cada experiencia junto a ti!!
millones de besos mi amorsito
TE AMO CHRIS

mendoza said...

no, pero tu comiste toda la tarta y chocolates sin mi! :( Eso es tu manera a ensenarme? Jajaja, es broma baby, gracias para compartir tu familia y tradiciones conmigo! kiss kiss kiss.

Alex said...

jajajaj... es cierto!!
pero yo sé que no te gustan las comidas dulces.
bueno, de todas formas, pronto vamos a tener nuestras propias fiestas de Nochevieja y Año Nuevo (chocolate con churros incluido) y Reyes Magos!!!
BESITOS