Sunday, August 15, 2010

Block this party!!!! ;P

Brooklyn block parties are awesome!
I didn't realize until yesterday how much I missed that part of Brooklyn's culture!
I grew up in Park Slope, Brooklyn and every summer there was one day set aside to celebrate and party with your neighbors. The whole street closes down, the hydrant opens up, sports tournaments are scheduled, its just a great time.
Between the BBQ's, music and warm summer air, its one of the best atmospheres and greatest RAW NYC experiences!
Now that I'm living in a different neighborhood, it was cool to meet my neighbors. They aren't the D'Rosas that lived across the street from me who invited me over for supper every Sunday to eat spaghetti with buttered bread. They aren't the Rodriguez' that lived right next door that always stopped me to have a short conversation before I went into my house, And they aren't the Velez/Vasquez the super cool family that I grew up with and wound up in a world-wind romantic love affair with the oldest son over the years. NO, My new neighbors are new and unique in their own special way.
Junito lives across the street and from the first time I met him he crossed the street and introduced himself to me, from him, I met most of the guys on the block. Majority Puerto Ricans, real cool and open. We Have a Polish lady that is real noisy and quiet that lives next door, but she is friendly, she brings over homemade wine and bread for us. There's also two elementary school teachers (I can't remember their names) that live down the block. I met them yesterday. They were so happy and friendly!

I'm slowly getting to know my neighbors. Although it's not the block that I grew up on, I'm making it my own and slowly inching my way into my new Brooklyn community.

It started with yesterdays block party.

I was happy to have some old time friends join my fiance and I at the day-long party too.

xo






No comments: