Thursday, November 3, 2011

Running emotions

Growing up in Park Slope, I used to watch the thousands of NYC marathon runners go by on brisk Sunday mornings once a year. I would slap them five, hand out paper-towels so they can wipe their sweat and cheer them on! I always thought, "WOW", one day I want to do that...

Now, in three days, I will. 

last training run before the marathon 11/1/11
I started out running the Belfast marathon in 2007, then ran the Madrid Marathon in 2009, now I'm on to the NYC marathon of 2011! Every two years I run a marathon in a different country, BUT this time its different. This time I'll be pounding the pavement in my hometown, NEW YORK CITY, passing by my people, my neighbors, friends and family. This time I'll be running through my old neighborhood and I'll remember when I used to stand there watching everyone else, now I'll be on the other side.

Its more important this time because I'll be running with the memory of loved ones that passed away from some form of cancer. I'll be running with the hopes of raising my fundraising goal of $3,500 so that less people have to suffer. So far, I'm proud to say, with the help of my dearest friends and family, I've raised $2,200. I still need $1,300 more. (Can you help me?)

The other morning as I was on the train riding over the bridge, I logged onto facebook and found such supportive, encouraging messages from my friends, I got a lump in my throat. This whole process has been so emotional for me, especially because my mom recently survived her 2nd bout with cancer.

I'm lucky to still have her, and I'm lucky to have supportive people in my life, and it makes me feel good that even people I never met are donating to my fund.

I hope to see you all along the route on Sunday. Wish me luck!

No comments: