Friday, June 29, 2012

beginning my writing journey

I'm on my way to Massachusetts. I mean-- right now, I'm on the bus-- on my way. I think I'm somewhere between NYC and Yonkers, but not too sure. Its irrelevant anyway...

I'm heading to a professional development workshop for the next two weeks. Someone from my organization sponsored me so that I can become a better writer. Its worth thousands of dollars, so I feel very blessed and special to have been chosen. Whenever you have a clear investment in someone, they believe in you. So I wont let anyone down. This particular place is a prestigious New England school where George Bush senior studied. Someone told me yesterday, "you're getting sent to the best place to become the best". This really had an impact on me, because coming from basically nowhere in life, I've really grown and feel so successful and like I'm making an impact in this world. I couldn't ask for much more than that.

My personal goals for this workshop are to become a better writer, and for my ideas and stories to flow in a more organic, creative way. I want to publish more. When I was younger I published a few articles in national publications, and wrote a chapter for a book on children, media and democracy for an international Swedish publisher, but since then I haven't done much in terms of writing, besides this blog, which, don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of, but theres no aim its just documenting my life and writing my thoughts, theres no real structure, which I'm okay with because thats not the intention.

My professional goals for this workshop are to bring new strategies into my classroom and pass on the knowledge I've gained to my staff and students so that they can become active citizens. Language is powerful, and when you use it correctly you have the capacity to make positive change.

Lets see how it goes!

No comments: