Friday, November 2, 2012

Disaster in the developed world

I had the honor of being asked to be on the radio last night to talk about the effects of Hurricane Sandy from my experience. Of course its a devastating experience for so many. Lives were lost as well as homes, and its been a huge ball of stress and frustration for so many. But like 911, my community came together. People had no inhibitions about speaking to strangers and exchanging smiles. I went to my local Mexican Restaurant last night and we started a small chat with a couple from downtown Manhattan which referred to themselves as Downtown Refugees, this auto-reference spurred great conversations, laughs and an appreciation to the fact that we have resources to return back to our homes and to rebuild. We live in the most developed country in the world, yes this is a horrible thing that happened to us, but lets put it into perspective-- our buses were running within two days, other countries don't even have buses.

I have family that lives in Red Hook, Brooklyn, they lost their home, it was condemned because of the flooding, its horrific, but we have the resources to build back up, faster and stronger than most.

Lets find hope in that and work together. Help each other. Grow together.

My heart goes out to all those affected directly and indirectly by this storm. xo.

No comments: