Wednesday, November 21, 2012

slowing it down and building happiness

I took a personal day from work today because things have started getting crazy and I saw myself arriving at burn-out mode as fast and as a NYC Taxi! I decided to spend the day doing my favorite solo activities:
Blogging
Running
Cooking
Taking Walks
and Reading.

These five days off are much needed. The pace and lifestyle of NYC are really getting to me. I know that I have to stay here for at least two more years, so I've found ways to cope. Spanish guy and I fixed up our apartment so that we feel more at home and cozy when in the house. The issue was that it was a great location (Central Park), but the apartment was a bit sad and cold, so we warmed it up by smoothing out the walls (its an old building) and adding fresh new color and curtains. Next we'll redo the floors.

Another issue I had is not having a community. I'm still working on this, but I've reconnected with old friends and started taking a Flamenco class with my girlfriends. We have the long flowy skirts and all, its great! I also spent a few evenings with 15 of my old gym friends. That was cool because they are DEF a different breed from what I'm used to. Theres still a lot more to do in this area in my own neighborhood, but I'm confident that I can work it out.

I feel like I'm in charge of my own fate and life, so who will make change if not me?

In the meantime, in order to slow my life down a bit, I'll enjoy the small moments like this one, just sitting in a cafe writing a blog.

1 comment:

Alex said...

those are nice solo things to do baby!!!