Wednesday, September 17, 2008

arriving in Malaga


So today is my 3rd day in Malaga. Here's an update so far:

I have the two nicest room mates in the world! One is from Venezuela and the other is Spanish. The Venezuelan speaks really good English, but we speak in Spanish most of the time. I made a promise to myself that i will learn Spanish fluently while I am here no matter what it takes.

I live on the foot of a mountain. My bedroom window faces the bottom of the mountain, so I see nothing but trees, hear birds singing all day and have plenty if sunlight coming into my room. its great. There is also a soccer field near by, so I occasionally hear the guys playing soccer, maybe I should join them one day? We have two bathrooms, a modern Kitchen, a flat screen TV and three balconies (we live on the corner piso of the building) It's a gated community, and I didn't know until I got here that it's one of the best places to live in the City.

I live 5 minutes away from the beach (on the Mediterranean Sea), a 2 minute walk into the center of the city and the bus station, and like I said before, on the bottom of a mountain, there is beauty, both organic and man made all around me.

I went running yesterday evening up the mountain (there is a cute but steep trail), when i got to the top, the view was amazing! First of all, there is a ruined castle on the top that is open for free to the public, not many people go up there because its hard to make it to the top, but there were a few couples up there having a picnic or just looking out over the city. On one side of the mountain I can see straight into the Bull fighting arena and a beautiful view of the miles and miles of beaches and sea, on the other side there is a gorgeous view of the WHOLE city and huge snow capped mountains beyond the city. Its absolutely amazing. This is my favorite part of the city (so far). I plan to go up to the top of the mountain as much as possible, to relax, write in my journal, have a picnic or just for exercise and to clear my mind.

Also, one block away, there is a roman theatre. Centuries and Centuries ago, the Romans conquered Malaga, Last year, construction was underway to make a building on this particular site, while they were digging, they discovered the Roman theatre. Since they found it, they left it there and made it into a sort of museum. There is someone there to answer any questions you may have about it. Its so unique and interesting. I walk by it everyday and imagine the Romans using this space so many centuries before I was there, Its weird to think about it. People can also go to the top of the theatre and sit on the top row of seats, pretty cool.

I've been lonely here the last few days, One of my roommates is studying for an exam and the other has been away on business. I've been doing everything alone. I am happy today because I met a girl yesterday and we are going out tonight for some Cervesas. we plan on having a language exchange 3x a week. She speaks good english but wants to practice more and I want to improve my spanish, so it works out.

Tomorrow night me and my roommates are heading out, Thursday is the hottest most poppin night of the week here.

So, these are just some updates and thoughts about things here. i am so happy, but of course I miss everyone at home, especially my family and Johnny.

xo

No comments: