Saturday, January 17, 2009

The little latina that could

lol.

I've been looking forward to the Madrid International Marathon in April for 4 months now. I started training in October and everything was going good. I was losing weight at a healthy steady pace, getting back into shape after a glutinous year. THEN--- BAM bOoM BaMMMMM... one thing after another happened that stopped me from training:

1-BAMMMM- Me & Johnny split up and I spent a week in bed!

2-BOOooM- Birthday, holidays and travels, ie: drinking, eating, partying, and sleeping late. Dehydration!

3-BamMMm- El gripe, flu!

Finally, today, I got back into it. Last week I bought new running sneakers. They had some pink in them, but I thought, what the hell, they are only for training, I don't care. THEN, I get home and they are the exact same sneakers I was already using that I bought in NY (I didn't even realize)! This is significant because they are a Japanese Brand, and I went to a specialty running store in Park Slope, Brooklyn to buy them. They put me on a treadmill, measured my feet, and evaluated what the best running sneaker for my feet, my running technique, and body type was! CRAZY! So I knew I was buying the same brand, but not the exact same sneaker. My old ones were blue though, ha. Sorry to get off topic, I just thought that was pretty lucky of me!

Anyway, here I am, I have 3 more months to go. April 27th 2009 is the day, Madrid!

So far, I am trying to ease my body back into the day-to-day training. This shouldn't be too hard since I've been running for eight years now. Once I am back into it, I will slowly start piling on more weekly mileage. So far I'm up to about 20 miles per week. I know I am behind in the training, but I have to make it!

I am monitoring my eating too. not that I have to, but it's interesting for me. I only eat whole foods, ie: potatoes, carrots, from the fruit store, not frozen. I don't eat anything processed and I eat a fruit with every meal. this is hard for me because I don't really like fruit, BUT since I dont like deserts, or anything with sugar, my body is lacking natural sugar, so I have to eat fruits. PLUS it's part of the famous Mediterranean Diet plan and I live in the Mediterranean, so yeah! I also have extra virgin olive oil with every meal, I use it for flavoring instead of canned sauce or those other bad oils, or whatever...

All of this is not hard for me because I love to eat the natural way, whole grains (all my carbs come from whole grains, pasta, brown rice, multi grain bread, etc.) and different fresh vegetables each day! The people at the fruit & veggie store know me already!

I love to keep a healthy lifestyle and training for a marathon brings me to a higher place mentally. I have a goal, I see my body and mind changing. I shine and I am happy. It's one of the best things I can do for myself!

When I am in NYC, I don't have time for this, I am too busy working, but when I live abroad, I have much more time, it goes along with the European lifestyle.

This will be my second marathon, 26 miles. My first was Belfast Marathon, 2007. It was tough! This time, I hope, it'll be easier for me. I will continue updating about my training. Wish me Luck!

My goal is to be up to 24 miles a week in the next two weeks... we'll see.


No comments: