Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Eve in Malaga, Spain-- 2009!

After much back and forth, thoughts of traveling to other Spanish Cities or countries, I decided to stay in Malaga to ring in the new year, there's nothing like home on these special days... here's how it was spent:

Me and my girls cooked dinner at my house, we all had our cute little aprons that we just bought from Seville, and decided to start off the night in an intimate way, small, low key, so only a few girls were invited. we had lots of wine, German hot cider, good food and desserts.



My German friend brought over picture frames with red beautiful paper inside and gold, silver, & black pens so we can write our new year's resolutions in the frame and remember them all year, she knew how important resolutions were to me! I thought that was the cutest and most thoughtful idea/gift EVER! fun fun fun & unique! We did this before heading out, around 11:35!
Then we headed out to plaza del constitution, the main square in the center of Malaga to ring in the new year. Apparently the whole city had the same idea, cause it was packed, but not crazy packed-- I could move. There is a Spanish tradition, where on the count down to the new years, you have to eat a grape a second (12 in total) and make a wish after each one-- that's 12 wishes. Little ole me had no idea there was an organized grape eating effort, and plus, I already had a good amount of wine, cider and champaigne in me, so when the clock started ringing, everyone started eating their grapes, I looked around and thought--oh shit-- so I tried to stuff them all in my mouth to make up for my lost time. I tried to do it in a way that didn't attract attention, but instead, grapes started sliding out of my mouth, my friend blurted out a HUGE laugh when she saw me, I almost vomited-- I'm not really a fruit kinda girl, ya know? PLUS, as the grapes were dropping out of my mouth, there was a cute little white dog next to me dressed in a pink frilly dress, she was happy to clean up my mess! Anyway, it was a disaster, I was so worried about this whole grape business, that I missed the freakin midnight cue, I cant even remember how they did it! LOL! Anyway, it was hilarious in a disastrous kinda way! If I am here next year for new years, I will know...

Then we hopped and skipped through the street to dance the night away with our colorful dresses (uncoordinated might I add, it shows that we are truly in love)! We managed to sneak out at some point-- can't remember how, to go home and eat left overs, (YUM!) make an appearance at my neighbors house party, then head back out to another club until 9am! The whole night seemed to be over in an hour, we were actually together for 12 hours! wooo hooo!

PS-- I am absolutely IN LOVE with this dress! I wanted to sleep in it I loved it so much! (instead I threw on a Tee and passed out, lol)
PPS-- before we went out, I gave my BFF a hair cut-- I had no idea what I was doing, but we both thought it would be fun! lol, I gave her a few wispy layers in the back and framing her face, LOL-- what the hell were we thinking?

We started 2009 off right! :) Holler for Malaga, lol.

No comments: