Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The first stages of separation: How I'm coping

So yesterday started out pretty bad, understandably. I was brought to terms with what my future would be. I faced the reality that the life I planned for myself and my husband would not exist anymore, the fairy tale life we lived did not have a happy ending.

So I cried and cried, and cried some more. I cried in my house, I cried outside, I cried in the coffee shop, I cried on the phone, I cried in the train station.

Then I stopped.

I took control of myself and my emotions and refused to sit and be sad any longer. It was time to make a change, starting with the apartment we shared together. I thought, if I am going to be happy, I have to make my apartment happy. So I transplanted all of my plants I gave them new soil and fertilizer. I spoke to them and strategically placed them around the house in areas that they would be content. My heart was happy as I was taking care of them.



Next thing I did was take all the pictures of my husband down and replace the pictures in the frame with happy memories of people that I know would never hurt me, family and friends.

Then I hopped on my bike (I still cant run because of my injuries) and went on a 10-mile bike ride through Brooklyn, it was a beautiful sunny day and I felt the sun kissing my cheeks, it was magnificent. I didn't want to go back home! But I did, I took a cool shower, smothered my body with Aloe Vera and sweet smelling perfume, took off my wedding ring, once and for all (no reason for living a false hope and posing as a married woman) and I headed out to Bushwick Brooklyn for some authentic salsa dancing.



I felt complete. I made MYSELF feel complete. NO ONE ELSE makes me feel complete but ME. By the end of the night, I walked through my door and the energy of my apartment was different. It was welcoming, it wasn't sad as it once was. 

I knew that everything would be okay, because I'm in charge of my own destiny.

I dictate my own life and it will be a happy one surrounded by people that want to be with me, that will be there for me no matter what. I wouldn't have it any other way!

xo
(inspired Mendoza)

2 comments:

melp said...

YES! What a GREAT new life you are starting for yourself! You know just what it takes to get through the rough patches, and you look beautiful in these photos! Your aura and love will transform your environment! You are magnificent and it shows! Go Christine!

mendoza said...

awww! Thanks! I feel really great for some reason. I'm doing better than I thought I would be! Love you lots!!!! besos!