Thursday, February 9, 2012

on moving

I’ve been searching for an apartment for just about a month now. I currently live in a (pretty nice) basement, but Spanish guy and I desperately craved windows with lots of sunshine to illuminate our abode, not to mention our lives. So when we started the search, we decided to look in the neighborhood that we were currently living. Way to high – the price I mean. This made me nervous, MY WHOLE LIFE WAS IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD! My friends, my gym, the express train into Manhattan, EVERYTHING!

I thought that if I moved out I would turn into this blubbering, extra large, friendless, pathetic person! That would be the end of me! My social life revolved around my gym and my community!

But then, I opened up my mind a bit. Maybe its okay to explore other areas, maybe I can make new friends, and maybe I can find serene little streets and nature to run in. And that’s what we did. We decided to move to Bayridge, Brooklyn.

Its a neighborhood with lots of walking and running trails along the East River, a park with views of lower Manhattan, tons of restaurants, bars, clubs, lounges, and an eclectic mix of people.

We found a lovely place in a prewar building with hardwood floors, original details, and get this: A VIEW OF THE RIVER! Views in NYC are very hard to come by, so as soon as we saw it we put a deposit down to secure it!

We are trying to stay smart and not give into the American culture of HUGE houses, TWO cars, and living WAY above your means. We also don't want too much responsibility (I know I mentioned this before), but the more responsibility you have, the more stress you have and the worse your life becomes. We are avoiding this at all costs! We actually rented this place for a lot less than we can afford. Now we have disposable income for travel and sports, and we STILL have a super cute place to go home to every night.

So maybe I won’t turn into a blubbering mess, maybe we will be okay in Bayridge.

Actually, I’m sure we will.



No comments: