Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Summer 2012

Dancing with my brother under the stars.

Summer 2012 is over, never to return, the only thing that we are left with is memories. The experiences will linger in my mind, blog, and journal forever. This summer has been one of personal growth, terminal illnesses, travels, and walks. Summer 2011 was defined by friends, parties and fun, so this past summer was very unique. 

I started off my summer at a Professional and Personal Development workshop in Andover, Massachusetts. There I learned how to write creatively and express myself in a different kind of way. I learned that in order to be there for others fully, we needed to know who we are and where we come from. I learned that everyone, no matter how "okay" they look, is living with lots of pain, and I learned that art is so important to our lives, whether its painting, writing, drawing, video, etc.

During a week-long stay-cation, I rowed around the east river, and for the first time in my life took a sketching and painting class, where I created works of art.
Also during that stay-cation I submitted articles for publication in Writers and Poets magazine.

I traveled to Tampa, Florida twice, once with my husband and the second time with my mother. We stayed with my cousin, where we spent hours in the bay, playing in the sand and watching sunsets. We visited a farm, and had lovely dinners together.

Speaking of my mom, she and I, this summer, have been fighting through a terminal illness. This is the first time I'm announcing it on blogger, and I haven't told many people, but its been very emotional for us all. She is at a later stage than I am, but I hope to give her strength and visualize our lives full of love and health. Any support is much appreciated, as it has been so difficult to think of my life without her, and think of myself as having a shortened life. Both myself and my mother have gotten surgeries this summer in an attempt to rid our bodies of this illness. Pray for us, its been so hard.

Aside from all these huge moments, I've also had smaller intimate experiences:

  • Spanish guy and I went to the pool
  • We went to Pennsylvania, the Poconos and hiked through the mountains
  • We walked along the river and through Central Park almost every night
  • We went running and in an attempt to cool off, played in the children's sprinklers before heading back home
  • I had visiters from California, Chicago and Arizona come to visit and we spent afternoons and evenings chatting, drinking and eating. It was just lovely.
  • I cut out hard alcohol and fried foods from my diet in an attempt to get healthier, and as a result I've lost lots of weight
  • I got the best haircut ever from a celebrity stylist
  • I spent time with many people instead of lots of time with a few people


All in all, although its been difficult, there is not one thing that I haven't appreciated in my life. I am grateful for every opportunity and every moment. Let us live and grow as people and continue to support each other emotionally and physically.

For now, I'm looking forward to next summer to continue dancing with my brother under the stars.


Goodbye Summer 2012, Hello fall, I welcome you with open arms. 





1 comment:

Alex said...

La verdad es que ha sido un verano lleno de momentos totalmente diferentes, sobre todo para ti. Podría decirse que un verano más intelectual que normalmente se podría imaginar como un verano corriente. Lo he disfrutado muchísimo, gracias mayormente a ti, mi amor! Espero que podamos seguir desarrollándonos profesional e intelectualmente de esta manera.

Eres fuerte y superaras todas las dificultades que aparezcan en el camino!! Muchos besos mi cielito!