Sunday, September 30, 2012

The journey to become homeowners in NYC

Today was our first day of house hunting. 

We wound up getting a list of open houses in the area we are interested in from an agent at the first open house. We saw about seven listings in total today. It was a good Sunday.

I loved exploring a new neighborhood in my own city. We were able to do this between viewings and spent some time in a charming bookstore and local cafe. 

Theres something very exclusive about having access to someone else's apartment and having the option to have that same apartment if you want to. We saw some beautiful prewar, one-bedrooms, they were all so spacious, 750sq ft or more with high ceilings, original hardwood floors with great detail, river and mountain views (AND IN THE CITY!) but most had tiny kitchens. FYI: 750 sq ft in Manhattan is luxurious! Some buildings had gorgeous community rooftop decks, others had grand lobbies, all in all, there was a lot out there. We are going to take our time and enjoy every second of this process.

While waiting for the train to head back to our current amazing neighborhood, Spanish Guy said to me, "so this is what newly married couples do on the weekends". I just nodded and we held hands. It was a nice experience for us and a nice natural step in a good direction after almost two years of non-traditional marriage life!

Brunch in our future hood, and a park walk:

 That cow stored my skim milk:

The journey to become home owners begins. I'm SO excited!

2 comments:

Alex said...

It was a very nice experience and I really enjoyed it! I learnt a lot of things about houses, real state, prices... So interesting!! I´m really thankful that I can share these moments with you baby, and more to come!! Soon, we´ll be in our own house! besitos

mendoza said...

MEE TOO!!!!!! Thanks baby. muchos kisses!!! xo.