Thursday, February 12, 2009

15 year anniversary on Broadway!

This week is the 15 year anniversary of my first performance, I was 11 years old and I was cast in a BROADWAY SHOW called, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Looking back, it was a CRAZY time! I was 11 years old, getting a weekly paycheck, not in school (I had a private tutor) performing 2 shows a day and I hated every second of it, MY MOM MADE ME DO IT! I just wanted to be in regular school with my friends!

LOOKING BACK-- it is one of those experiences that are priceless. Who can actually say they were in a Broadway show, had a private tutor AND got paid, when they were in elementary/Junior High School?

I was a performer, on stage 95% of the time, singing, dancing and acting in front of over 500 people every day for over a year! It took me 6 months to learn every song, the dance choreography, and the acting with the other children that were cast, that was the fun part! They gave us meals everyday, got us private transportation from our house everyday (to & from), and they gave our family free tickets to come see us!

What an amazing experience! Now when I tell people (which is hardly ever) that I was on Broadway, they're usually shocked and ask for my autograph! LOL. (it's not that serious)

These are the children that were in the show with me, I LOVED them! Look at how old Time Square was in the background, they had cigarette advertisements! ha. (I'm in the back, behind the black kid, with the bangs, how cute I was! lol)
Minskoff Theatre!

After the show ended, I continued performing, I sang the National Anthem at Yankees games, Knicks games, Shea Stadium, I flew to Florida to sing at Disney World, and I was accepted into a Performing Arts High School that was partnered with MTV!

I don't perform anymore. I don't sing anymore either (only karaoke). BUT I still dance, and I dance quite often and quite well. I have a new passion now, traveling, teaching, reading and culture. I will always cherish my time on Broadway, it was a HUGE part of my upbringing and my development! GO GO GO JOSEPH!

No comments: