Friday, June 5, 2009

My first 4 days back in NYC

Here's my initial observations:

New Yorkers say good morning to strangers more than any other country I've visited. I left my house early every morning this week and random people say good morning to me. Mostly men and I lost my bitchy NYC attitude, so I smile and say good morning back. I wondered why only men say good morning. I don't think they want anything from me, after I greet them back, they continue walking or working, so I decided to start saying good morning to woman to see what happens (I am very experimental, haha). Today, there was a middle aged woman walking her dog and I gently and friendly said "good morning" as she passed. She smiled and nodded. NICE! That was the end of it, I didn't want to talk to strangers anymore, haha.

New York brings out the worst in me. I am constantly stressed here. I constantly feel like I have errands to run, people to see, and work to do. I get depressed at the drop of a dime for no reason. People are angry and make it known. I have to travel too far to get somewhere and during the transit period, my body reacts, I have too much time to think, I can't digest my food properly because of the stress either. People are tense and so am I. I have enough self control to not take it out on other people, but believe me, I want to scream at most people! NYC is not a happy place for me.
Maybe I just need to sit in a garden in the sun somewhere for a while.

New York is the best place in the world to shop! I have been on a 3 day shopping spree and it is addictive! There are so many shops, neighborhoods, and styles, it is a SHOPPERS PARADISE! And at affordable prices! I LOVE it! I have a whole new wardrobe and I didn't spend half as much as I would have in Spain and the clothes are 100% better! DRESSES, JOE JEANS, SEVEN JEANS, LEATHER SANDALS, EARRINGS!!! <3

I realized how much I LOVE interior design and something that I have denied for a long time: I actually enjoy cleaning (shhhh...) I am having a grand old time in my new place doing this! :)

I think I need to get involved in some cultural activities, I am still readjusting to the time, meeting with friends and family, etc. Once my set schedule kicks in, I feel like I will be more normal... hopefully.

No comments: