Saturday, October 24, 2009

building the immune system

So, I've been partying like crazy recently. Almost every night for a while. I know it's bad, but it's so hard not to when you live in a party town and everyone you know calls you to go out-- dinner-- salsa dancing--house parties-- drinks-- Churinguitos (bars/restaurants on the beach with loud music)-- to watch a soccer game and have a few beers. It's hard to resist. Last year while I was living here in Malaga I went out and partied every night... and in Spain, the clubs and bars don't close until 6am, so you can imagine...

Well, I got sick and went to the hospital yesterday, low and behold I got an infection, I asked the doctor how did this happen, why do people get this infection? It's nothing serious, but I am CURIOUS ABOUT EVERYTHING! "It's a common germ actually, but people with weak immune systems are more prone to getting it" he said, WHAT!!!?!! ME?? WEAK IMMUNE SYSTEM?!? It couldn't be! I'm an extreme athlete, eat only veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans and nuts, with olive oil and sea salt-- I use GARLIC on everything for gods sake! I walk everywhere, I swim, I hike, I rollerblade! How can I have a weak immune system... so I went home and I thought... and I thought a bit more... and a little more...

It has to be the partying... it has to be, there's no other reason. I am a healthy person otherwise. We all have our weaknesses, someone people love cookies, others love fast food, others hate to exercise, mine happens to be drinking and partying!

Also, when I sprained my ankle in the beginning of September, I was house bound, I couldn't move or walk around, and my lovely Spanish guy would bring home beer and wine when he got home from work, I'm sure that all of this combined has lead to my weak immune system. Lack of exercise, drinking, and partying.

Well, now I'm on a mission, to build my immune system, I hate being sick, and I DEFINITELY don't want to be unhealthy, it's like my worst nightmare! I am almost healed, my ankle, I mean, and I started slowly running, I am adding more water and veggies to my diet and am toning down the partying. I won't eliminate it completely, it's what I like to do, but I can still have fun without damaging my own body, and that's what I plan on doing. I'm happy and excited about my mission.

No comments: