Monday, February 8, 2010

American Popular Culture/ Cultura Americana

So I went to the only American joint here in Málaga the other night called "Cheers" and I was SO excited to see that VH1 was on! I don't have any contact with American pop culture while I'm here. I don't know what the newest songs are, I don't know what the American style is, I haven't seen anything (nor have I been too interested) BUT I saw Leona Lewis' video, "HAPPY" and I LOVED it! Shes British, I know, so maybe she has a more European style, but I love the off-the-shoulder look. AND HER WHOLE VIDEO WAS SHOT IN BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFULLLLLL CUBA! Que exótico...
http://showhype.com/video/leona-lewis-happy-official-music-video-high-quality/
(I'm interested in video's because it's my profession, to make media, so I like to aesthetically analyze things).

Bueno... I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was nice, even if it was just for a few minutes, to get a little taste of American (and Cuban) culture. Sometimes being so far away from home, any little connection lights a fire that was hiding deep within. It's like sometimes I just crave Dunkin Donuts (even though here it's called Dunkin Coffee) and when I am inside I feel like I am back in Park Slope, Brooklyn, on 5th ave! It's great!

Okay my darlings, I'm going to translate this into Spanish because I have to practice writing in Spanish and also maybe I'll get more Spanish readers!

________

Fui al único bar americano en Málaga
el otro noche que se llama "Cheers" yo estaba muy emocionada para ver el canal VH1 en el tele! No tengo nada de contacto con television americano aquí, entonces no se la moda del EEUU, ni los nuevos canciones, pero esta día ví el video clip de Leona Lewis, el canción, "Happy" y me encantó. Yo sé que ella es de Inglaterra entonces a lo mejor su estilo es mas Europea que americano pero me encanta el look de "colgando del hombro".
¡Su video fue filmado en Cuba, el pais de mi padre, que exótico!
http://showhype.com/video/leona-lewis-happy-official-music-video-high-quality/

Bueno... la cosa que quiero decir es que a veces es un soplo de aire fresco para ver algo de mi país, mi cultura, porque vivo tan lejos de Los Estados Unidos. Cualquier conexión pequeño para mí es suficiente. A veces tengo que irme a Dunkin Donuts para sentir si que yo fuera en Park Slope, en Brooklyn, en el barrio donde vengo. ¡Es genial!

¡Ahora voy a volver al mí mundo español, que me encanta tanto!

No comments: