Saturday, May 14, 2011

triumph

For the love of running: 
I woke up this morning at 6am to a horn beeping outside my house. It was the other half of my dynamic duo scooping me up to run our 3rd race together in Central Park.

This race was different. I went out last night and I hadn't been taking care of myself recently. I haven't been eating, I've been sleeping only a few hours a night, going out every single night, and I've just been feeling weak, let alone I haven't really been training. 

So as we drove over the Brooklyn Bridge and over the FDR Drive, I watched the sun coming up and I thought, I AM MENDOZA and I am a runner. I can run this race and rock this race no matter what! 

And thats what I did. 
I finished in 53:54, 8:41 per mile. 
(2 seconds slower than my first 10K, but I'm happy, considering that I haven't been training)

It was constant, non-stop, pain I wanted to vomit every stride I took, but I kept telling myself, "you are strong, come on, don't make excuses to why you cant do this, you are a runner, this is who you are, you're going to finish strong, come on, come on" and 6.1 miles later, I finished and became so emotional! It was such a huge feeling. I felt like if I could get through that, I really could get through anything.

early morning skyline.
 xo
 happy and silly after the race!
 gheeaahhhhh!
Three more races to go, I hope to get better and better, because that's what I am about.
NYC marathon, Im coming, bigger and better than ever before! No one could hold me down! NO ONE!

1 comment: